Casa Grande Ruins National Monument, located in Coolidge, Arizona, was set aside as the Nation’s first archaeological reserve in 1892. Since 1918, it has been part of the National Park System, the only NPS unit whose mission is to preserve and interpret Hohokam culture for the general public. The centerpiece of the Monument is the only surviving example of a Hohokam Great House, a multi-story adobe structure built in the early-to-mid fourteenth century. In addition to the Great House, the Monument contains 62 archaeological sites with Hohokam houses, residential compounds, trash mounds, burial areas, communal cooking areas, and public facilities, including a ball court and two platform mounds. Between 60,000 and 70,000 people visit the Monument in an average year, making it one of the top tourist attractions in Pinal County. For the O’odham and other Native American groups, Casa Grande Ruins is a sacred place with deep spiritual meaning—it figures prominently in traditional oral histories and serves as a tangible reminder of distant ancestors, as well as a source of cultural pride. Few places can match the combination of historical, archaeological, and cultural significance of Casa Grande Ruins.